Activities for Kids that ENHANCE Summer
If you have ever worried about your kids suffering from summer brain drain, then there are some easy things you can do to keep them motivated to learn all summer.
Here is a list of things to tell children’s parents to do with your child at home:
1.Crack open a dictionary. Ask them to find a hard word like, “integrity” in the dictionary. Then, have them explain the meaning to you.
2. Teach your child how to do the laundry.
3. Play a board game with your child.
4. Teach your child to set the table. Have them count all the silverware. Reinforce the “game” by offering desert for the right answer. Continue with teaching them how to make a special dinner.
5. Children at any age love to paint! Give them water colors and paper outside. Let them go crazy with splattering/flicking paint on the paper. If they have an outdoor playhouse, let them paint it with water colors. When it rains, it come right off.
6. Encourage your child to tell you a prediction to an ending to a movie or story.
7. Tell your child they can only watch TV or play a video game if they can tell you the time on the clock. (not digital…)
8. Encourage your child to do a garage sale with you or open a lemonade stand to earn a little extra money. Tell family members to come visit so they can not only participate, but test them on giving change for items.
9. Father’s Day is often overlooked during the school year, so let your child make a project or go shopping for dad and give them a budget.
10. Ask your child to come up with words that rhyme and challenge them to make a rap using the rhyming words.
11. At bed time, ask your child to sequence the events of their day.
12. Create a new dance move or hand shake with your child.
13. Do some wood working with your child, but letting them use a hammer and nails to build something like a birdhouse with your supervision.
14. Ask your child to show you a Jumping Jack, Push Up, or Skipping.
You would be surprised how many kids can’t do these tasks.
15. Use chalk outside to make Hopscotch. Teach them how to play.
16. Teach your child figure out how to play frisbee or tennis.
Summer Practice for Kids
Sending home summer practice packets for kids is a great way to keep kids actively learning all summer too!
CLICK HERE FOR: